Foreign Policy Blogs

Violence threatens health progress in Afghanistan

The increasing lack of security in Afghanistan is spreading throughout the country.  Even areas of Kabul considered somewhat secure are threatened. On July 7 a suicide bomber killed over 50 people in front of the Indian embassy in the capital.

The International Committee for the Red Cross (ICRC) says some 250 Afghani civilians were killed within a week earlier this month. Various militias, Taliban, and coalition forces are responsible for their deaths.

"Currently some 400,000 people in the country do not have access to basic health services because of attacks on health personnel and health centres, and also due to lack of security for health workers," Abdullah Fahim, a spokesman for the Ministry of Public Health, told IRIN in Kabul on 23 July.

 

Author

Nikolaj Nielsen

Nikolaj Nielsen has a Master's of Journalism and Media degree from a program partnership of three European universities - University of Arhus in Denmark, University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands, and Swansea University in Wales. His work has been published at Reuters AlertNet, openDemocracy.net, the New Internationalist and others.

Areas of Focus:
Torture; Women and Children; Asylum;

Contact